Saturday, December 11, 2010

Hollywood 1976 Re-Visited

That winter 1976 junket to Los Angeles where I spent two days in the company of Tom Waits was a jam-packed week of non-stop celebrity events. My host was a talent agent with whom I had been in contact with in Seattle regarding my reporting work at the UW Daily, and his list of clients was impressive. In addition to Mr. Waits, his talent list included Stevie Wonder, Frank Zappa, and singer/comedian Gary Mule Deer. I had never heard of Gary but agreed to get together with him and find out more. I don't believe I ever wrote anything on Gary but I do remember that we spent probably an hour together and he was extremely cordial and funny. I have not followed his career over the years but according to other sources he's opened shows for a lot of major acts, performed at corporate gatherings, played Las Vegas and made a ton of TV appearances including Jay Leno and David Letterman. But in 1976, I couldn't connect him with UW students or a Seattle audience so nothing came of our interview though I remember his off-beat humor.

I was staying at a Ramada Inn (long gone) on Sunset Boulevard just up the street from the famous Tower Records store (also long gone) when I got an impromptu call from my local guide. It was his job to fill my week with as much "client contact" as possible. I was asked if I wanted to go to a Frank Zappa press gathering. I was game though I wasn't really a "fan" of Frank's musical endeavors and was taken to a snazzy hotel in Beverly Hills. We took an elevator up to a beautiful suite that was full of people milling around and to this day I have no recollection what the event was for other than it had something to do with a Zappa film project. I didn't receive a press packet or any information but I was immediately upon arrival greeted by the maestro himself; the wild mane of hair and signature soul patch under his lip were unmistakable. We shook hands and he gave us directions to the bar. My guide and I spent about an hour in the suite. We helped ourselves to the liquor and I was introduced to numerous people I was told were industry heavies. I met a couple of writers from Rolling Stone Magazine whose names I knew from various articles I had read but no one was interested in talking to anyone they didn't know. For someone interested in the entertainment world (especially music) this was where the action was...all in one room but it was impossible to penetrate the walls of separation. We soon left as unceremoniously as we had entered. I wanted to go find Tom Waits and get real. Instead I just had my guide take me back to the Ramada. I was reminded of the surprise birthday party for Stevie Wonder on Friday night and that my guide would pick me up and together we would go to the restaurant. What had already been a busy day and evening was still not over; I was about to meet one of the developers of the hologram and discover world traveler Burton Holmes.

No comments: